Find the answers to your Laser Tattoo Removal questions here
Does laser treatment burn the skin?
ABSOLUTELY NOT. The laser tattoo removal treatment does not ‘burn’ the skin or the tattoo to effect removal. Disappear Ink utilises the world’s best laser system for laser tattoo removal, the Q-Switched Quanta Laser System. The laser energy actually shatters the ink particles in the tattoo into tiny micro fragments. These micro fragments are then carried away from the tattoo site by the body’s own lymphatic system.
Does it hurt?
Do you charge for a consultation?
NO. Disappear Ink never charges for an initial consultation.
How successful is the treatment?
Why so many treatments?
Disappear Ink follows the ‘Less is More’ principle and we do not take unnecessary short-cuts with our clients. We also utilise the world’s best laser system for laser tattoo removal, the Q-Switched Quanta Laser System. This system does not ‘burn’ the skin or the tattoo to effect removal. The laser energy actually shatters the ink particles in the tattoo into very tiny micro fragments. These micro fragments are then carried away from the tattoo site by the body’s own lymphatic system. This shattering effect and natural dispersal results in less ink at the tattoo site and so there is a gradual, but noticeable fading of the tattoo. Some tattoos may respond to as few as two treatments but most usually require between four to eight treatments to be completely removed.
How many treatments can I expect?
So when is the best time to start?
Really, the best time to start laser tattoo removal is when you are ready to have your tattoo faded or removed. That said, we find the the best time from a comfort and easier recovery standpoint is straight after Summer has ended and you’ve put away the beach gear. That way, your treated tattoo can heal without too much sun and surf after each treatment. With enough head-start, you can be ready for next summer …
How soon can I have a NEW tattoo removed?
Many people get a tattoo on the weekend and then on Monday want it removed. Unfortunately, the tattoo has to be allowed to fully heal first before laser tattoo removal can begin. Healing takes between 8 to 12 weeks. This way the skin fully recovers and the tattoo ink settles. Once healed, the laser tattoo removal treatment can do its job. Treating a tattoo before it is fully healed can lead to scarring and skin discolouration, so for a good removal outcome – patience is paramount.
Can I have my tattoo faded for re-doing?
YES ABSOLUTELY! We can treat your tattoo to fade it to a point that your favourite tattoo artist can re-work the area and create a new work of art. Check out this article showing our fading work.
Can I tattoo over an area where i’ve had laser?
YES, ABSOLUTELY. Remember, it’s OK to Change Your Mind. Many of our clients visit us specifically to have a tattoo removed or partially removed so a brand new one, more modern one or just simply fantastic one can take pride of place in your life.
Can I have a part of my tattoo removed?
SURE – Many of our clients come to us for laser tattoo removal to remove parts of their tattoos that need to be replaced, re-worked or just removed. So we can help you trim or clean up your tattoo as you require.
Why 8 or more weeks between treatments?
Best results are achieved when treatments are spaced eight or more weeks apart. The natural process of the body’s lymphatic system removing the micro fragments of ink particles is on-going even though the ‘look’ on the surface seems that nothing is happening. Treating a tattoo earlier than eight weeks does not speed-up the process of laser tattoo removal. It simply makes the client feel better and the clinic richer. Read our Tips for Improving Your Fading.
Are there side effects?
What pain relief can be offered to me?
OK, So After The Laser Treatment What’s Next?
- Following treatment the skin will be cooled using the Zimmer Cryo 6 machine. The Disappear Ink Tattoo Removal Clinician will do this immediately and throughout the process as well as after the treatment.
- Avoid excessive heat on the skin surface (avoid exercise, hot baths, showers, saunas etc for 24- 48 hours after treatment)
- DO NOT expose treated area to the sun
- Use SPF 30+ when in the sun as well as protective clothing for the duration of your Laser Tattoo Removal treatments.
- Do not pick or scratch the treated area.
- Avoid any injury to the skin.
- If you don’t develop any crusting you may remove the bandage the morning after each treatment
- The treated area may feel slightly sunburned. Cold packs can be applied as needed for the discomfort. This will pass quickly.
- The treated area may remain red and puffy for a number of days and even weeks depending on skin types. This is normal and will settle down to normal.
- It is very common to develop an itching sensation in the treated area even weeks after a treatment. This is the body removing the shattered pigment micro particles from the skin. The itching sensation is caused by the micro particles moving through the skin. Again, this is perfectly normal. PLEASE AVOID SCRATCHING.
- If applying antiseptic cream to the area does not decrease the itching sensation, then a 1% Hydrocortisone ointment or cream may be applied.
Does the sun impact my treatment?
YES IT DOES. Just like when you first had your tattoo inked, you should not expose the treated area to the Sun where possible and ensure that when you are in the Sun (where it’s unavoidable) you should always use a broad spectrum SPF 30+ block-out as well as protective clothing for the duration of your Laser Tattoo Removal treatments.